Charleston Traffic Offense Attorneys
Defending Those Facing Traffic Crimes Charges in Charleston, Summerville, and Beyond
In South Carolina, violating a traffic law can result in severe consequences. Penalties can include fines and, in some cases, incarceration. Additionally, if a person has multiple traffic offense convictions, they risk having their driver's license suspended. If you've been accused of a traffic crime, reach out to our Charleston traffic ticket attorneys as soon as possible. They can advise you of your options and help fight your charge.
At Thurmond Kirchner & Timbes, P.A., our traffic offenses attorneys in Charleston and Summerville, South Carolina, know the adverse impacts a conviction can have on your life. We're here to help you through the process of resolving your traffic matter. Our Charleston traffic lawyers can seek a favorable outcome on your behalf, striving to minimize or avoid potential penalties.
Have you violated a traffic law in South Carolina? Call Thurmond Kirchner & Timbes, P.A., today at (843) 790-0083 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our traffic offense lawyer in Charleston.
Is a Traffic Violation a Criminal Offense?
Although many people may associate a traffic offense with a simple citation, they are actually criminal matters. Generally, they are misdemeanors penalized by a fine and/or incarceration. Thus, anyone who has been charged should take the situation seriously and seek legal counsel with a Charleston traffic offense attorney to determine an effective course of action.
Thurmond Kirchner & Timbes, P.A. is ready to provide the legal advice and guidance you need. We’ll evaluate the merits of your case, let you know what charge you’re facing, discuss possible defenses, and, most importantly, discuss alternatives.
Traffic Offenses Cases We Handle
South Carolina has numerous laws that affect drivers. Most are enumerated in South Carolina Code of Laws Chapter 56. Regardless of the reason you were issued a citation, our team can help fight it.
Our Charleston traffic lawyers take on a range of traffic offense cases in and around Charleston and Summerville, including, but not limited to:
- Driving under the influence (56-5-2930): It's unlawful for any person operating a motor vehicle on public roads to do so while their faculties are impaired by drugs and/or alcohol. A first offense is punishable by up to $400 in fines or a maximum of 48 hours in jail.
- Driving under suspension (56-1-460): If a person operates a vehicle while their driver's license has been suspended, canceled, or revoked, upon a conviction for a first offense, they could face up to 30 days in jail and/or a fine of up to $300.
- Hit and run (56-5-1210): Leaving the scene of an accident resulting in bodily injury to another can lead to imprisonment for up to 1 year and/or a fine of up to $5,000.
- Racing (56-5-1590): Any person who participates or aids and abets in a street race may be cited.
- Reckless driving (56-5-2920): If a person drives with a wanton disregard for the safety of others or property, they could be fined up to $200 or imprisoned for up to 30 days.
- Speeding (56-5-1520): No person may operate their vehicle above the posted speed limit. If they do, they could be fined or imprisoned, depending on how fast they were going.
- Failing to stop for a police officer (56-5-750): If a person does not stop when signaled to do so by a law enforcement officer, they could face up to 3 years’ imprisonment or a fine of up to $500, provided that the offense did not result in great bodily injury or death.
- Disregarding traffic signals (56-5-950): Unless otherwise specified by a law enforcement official, all drivers must obey traffic control devices.
Contact Our Traffic Offense Lawyers Today
At Thurmond Kirchner & Timbes, P.A., Charleston traffic violation lawyers understand the frustrations of being accused of a traffic offense. That is why we will provide the compassionate yet tenacious defense you need.
Contact Thurmond Kirchner & Timbes, P.A., today to get started on your defense with our Charleston traffic offense attorney.